It is the member’s responsibility to maintain the correctness of their BCHJA membership file at bchja.com and to be aware of the rules outlined as follows. An individual’s BCHJA membership file may be accessed by logging on to the website and clicking on “My Account”. Password reset instructions are available on the website. Further assistance may be received by emailing email@example.com
Three reasons to keep your BCHJA file updated
- Member year of birth is used to assign the appropriate age divisions. If this is incorrect, points may also be incorrect for age-sensitive divisions.
- Member name, as listed on the BCHJA file is what is used for points calculations. If you use a different name or spelling on show entries, your points will not show up in the final calculations for each show.
- Sign-up/renewals are date and time stamped, and back-dating will not be done for the purpose of awarding points. If owner/rider/trainer memberships are not valid and paid-up by 6PM on the Sunday of each BCHJA show, points will not be awarded for that show.
In order to accrue points, BCHJA memberships are required by rider, owner, and trainer. These memberships must be in place by 6 PM, on the Sunday of each show. It is recommended that all competitors confirm the correctness of their entry with the show office before checkout (correct horse name, owner, rider, trainer), as this is the data that is used to calculate points.
If a horse is leased and the owner is not a member, and the horse is being shown at Bronze shows, then you must submit an affidavit confirming the lease to the BCHJA secretary (see forms at BCHJA.com). The lessee must be a member.
Points are awarded in accordance with Equine Canada Rules for BCHJA Divisions as follows:
- all BCHJA hunter divisions and classes 3’ and up
- all rated BCHJA pony hunter divisions
- BCHJA hunter divisions 2’9” and below will carry no multiplying factor
- all BCHJA jumper divisions 1.0m and up
- all rated BCHJA pony jumper divisions
- BCHJA jumper divisions .90m and down will carry no multiplying factor
- Equitation: no multiplying factor
- No multiplying factor will be used
* Base Points X Number Competed X Multiplying Factor *
- 1st place = 8 points
- 2nd place = 7 points
- 3rd place = 6 points
- 4th place = 5 points
- 5th place = 4 points
- 6th place = 3 points
- 7th place = 2 points
- 8th place = 1 point
- Number of competitors shown on the results
- There must be a minimum of 2 competitors for points to be awarded
Multiplying Factor (Gold Shows Only – no multiplying factor applied for Bronze Shows)
- Multiplying factor used to calculate points in hunter classes will be based upon the total hunter prize money actually awarded at each EC Gold competition as follows:
- $15,001 or above 15
- $10,001 to $15,000 10
- $5,001 to $10,000 6
- $2,501 to $5,000 4
- Up to $2,500 2
- Example: Calculation for second place horse, class of 27 horses; competition offers $8,500 hunter prize money: 7 points X 27 horses X 6 (multiplying factor) = 1134 points
- Multiplying factor used to calculate jumper points will be based upon the total jumper prize money actually awarded at each EC Gold competition.
- $50,001 and above 15
- $30,001 to $50,000 10
- $10,001 to $30,000 8
- $5,001 to $10,000 6
- $2,501 to $5,000 4
- Up to $2,500 2
- Example: Calculation for second place horse, class of 27 horses; competition offers $15,000 jumper prize money: 7 points X 27 horses X 8 (multiplying factor) = 1512 points
Cross Entry in Hunter & Equitation 2’3” 2’6” 2’9” Divisions
Individuals may enter any and all classes/divisions that fall within the rules for the specific horse show, and will receive horse show venue awards accordingly. The BCHJA Divisions and Points Rules are applied and calculated independently. It is the member’s responsibility to be aware of the BCHJA Points Rules. Points will be calculated and posted in all of the BCHJA Hunter and Equitation Divisions at the 2’3″/2’6″/2’9″ level throughout the season. At the end of the season, Final Award Placings will be calculated as follows:
- For Hunters (end result will be 12 different year end award winning riders – may be overlap with Equitation):
- The top 4 in the 2’9″ Hunter Divisions will be identified
- The top 4 in the 2’6″ Hunter Divisions will be identified, and if any overlap with top 4 in 2’9″ Hunter Divisions, those names will be removed from 2’6″, and top 4 will be re-calculated without those individuals.
- The top 4 in the 2’3″ Hunter Divisions will be identified, and if any overlap with top 4 in 2’6″ or 2’9″ Hunter Divisions, those names will be removed from 2’3″, and top 4 will be re- calculated without those individuals.
- For Equitation (end result will be 12 different year end award winners – may be overlap with Hunters):
- The top 4 in the 2’9″ Equitation Divisions will be identified
- The top 4 in the 2’6″ Equitation Divisions will be identified, and if any overlap with top 4 in 2’9″ Equitation Divisions, those names will be removed from 2’6″, and top 4 will be re-calculated without those individuals.
- The top 4 in the 2’3″ Equitation Divisions will be identified, and if any overlap with top 4 in 2’6″ or 2’9″ Equitation Divisions, those names will be removed from 2’3″, and top 4 will be re- calculated without those individuals.
Interim points will be updated online throughout the show season. No results will be considered final until show season is over and calculations and eligibility are verified. Points will then be marked as final. Any disputes will be reviewed by a quorum of the BCHJA Board, and the decision of that quorum will be final.
Year End Awards
Year-end awards are based on the points achieved in the best 6 BCHJA shows, plus the Fall Finale results. There is one exception: point accrual at the Fall Finale is restricted to those who have competed as members in at least one previous BCHJA show in the current competition year. The BCHJA Board reserves the right to reduce or increase the number of year-end award prizes, for a particular division, based upon the size of the division. Pre-Green 3’ & 3’3” will be combined, and Green 3’6” & 3’9” will be combined if less than 4 BCHJA members are accruing points in each height of these divisions.